MAC Viva Glam I (The Original) Lipstick + Liglass review & swatches

Hello my lovelies, first of all I’m sorry for the lack of activity on my blog. The reason behind it is that I’ve been quite busy these past weeks, but also I went to Milan for over a week and now I’m still trying to readjust to our sad excuse for a country , so bear with me as I try my best, OK? :-)  

A couple of weeks ago, I’ve posted a picture on my facebook pageof some new MAC goodies I got and one of my readers asked me to do a post about Viva Glam I lipstick; so for today I decided to give you all a detailed look at this gorgeous red lipstick shade and its matching lipglass.

Back in 1994, MAC introduced Viva Glam, a lipstick created to help raise money for MAC AIDS fond and every cent of the selling price of Viva Glam lipstick was donated to MAC Aids Fond to support men, women and children affected with HIV and AIDS. 


American drag queen RuPaul was the very first spokesmodel of MAC Viva Glam back in  1994 and since then MAC has included many celebs for their Viva Glam campaigns such as Missy Eliot, Pamela Anderson, Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj and so on… 

Since the first Viva Glam was unveiled in 1994, featuring a beautiful creamy shade of deep brick red lipstick, the world has become crazy about  each new launch of Viva Glam. Almost twenty years later, MAC decided to surprise us all, so they returned with the renamed, revamped  Viva Glam I (now known as The Original Viva Glam) red lipstick, accompanied with a limited edition matching lipglass, followed by the new-old face supermodel diva Ru Paul as their spokesmodel again. MAC Viva Glam I has been described as an intense red burgundy and it is available at all MAC locations since September 2013.


Guess I can't really tell you anything about the original Viva Glam lipstick, as I was a 7 year old kid living in a war affected Bosnia back then, but I've read that the shade today isn't exactly the same as it was in 1994. Of course, things have changed, so I assume they probably changed the formula or something, but as far as I can tell, the shades do match quite well.


MAC Viva Glam I or Viva Glam The Original if you prefer, is a deep brick red lipstick with cool brown undertones. It is a beautiful shade that is veeery pigmented and it has a matte finish. I usually avoid matte lipsticks, as I find many of them drying and stiff on my lips, but none of this applies to this lipstick, as it has a smooth application and feels great once you apply it.  


It is no secret that I love red lips and this is a great addition to my ever-growing red lipstick stash. It is a perfect color if you want to get sort of a femme fatal look and would go great with a 20’s eye. Here's a comparasion swatch with MAC's Russian Red lipstick, just so you get a better picture. They both have a matte finish, but you can clearly see that Viva Glam I is darker and deeper shade of red. I think it is a cross between Russian Red and Diva lipstick.


Usually, I like to combine my lipstick with a matching lip liner, but this is one of the few lipsticks that I can use without a lip pencil for sure. It doesn’t bleed and it starts to fade after 5-6 hours, so the staying power is quite impressive. 

As all MAC lipsticks, this one too has a subtle vanilla-ish smell, but I personally enjoy that smell, as it's not overwhelming at all. The packaging is black and sleek with red detailing. The shade is very opaque and daring, and it might be even too dark for some, but that’s when you can reach for the same Viva Glam I lipglass rather than a lipstick. 


I’m not a fan of lip glosses, but when it comes to MAC lipglasses I honestly love them so much, especially if it happens that I have a matching lipstick too. At first, I was a bit afraid that both products would come out the same, but honestly I’m so happy that I got both as they give me a different effect and are super pigmented.


Looking at the swatches of Viva Glam I lipglass, it might seem that the color is slightly darker with tiiiny hints of brown. However, when you apply it, you get a beautiful shade of brick reddish color in just one swipe. The formula is creamy and non sticky at all. The main thing that I love about all my MAC lipglasses is that they have an amazing color payoff so they can be worn alone and you will still have a fully colored lip. 

Viva Glam I lipstick and a lipglass retail for 18.50 each and they will remain available through December 12, so in case you want to splurge on these babies, you better hurry up. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment