MAC Heroine Lip Pencil Review + Dupe Alert (Flormar Lip Pencil No. 218)

I’ve been lusting over MAC’s Heroine lipstick since what feels like forever and to this day it stands as one of my most wanted make-up items. This spring, the color returned with MAC’s Fashion Sets, but I just wasn’t lucky enough to get my hands on it. MAC also came up with a matching lip pencil, lip gloss, nail polish and an eyeshadow - everything limited edition! (Why MAC, whyyyy?). About a month ago, during my trip to Vienna I came across Heroine lip pencil in one of their MAC stores, and while lip pencil seemed like second best, I was happy to get my hands on it whatsoever. 


Heroine is described as a bright violet purple and it is a medium toned purple with blue undertones and matte finish. Though MAC described it as bright purple, it doesn’t come out as bright on me, but more like a vivid purple color. 



The lip pencil applies very creamy, and to my big surprise it can be used to fill in the lips without the actual lipstick. The texture is smooth, though a little dry, so I always exfoliate and prep my lips before using it as a standalone lip color. The staying power is awesome and it stayed for nearly 6 hours with a lip gloss and I assume when used with a lipstick it lasts all day.

Ok, now another product that I want to talk about is Flormar 218 lip pencil which caught my attention right after I saw it. Just by looking at it’s swatch, it reminded me a lot of Heroine, so of course I had to try it and investigate a little :-) 

Here you can see the comparison swatches...


Although they look quite similar, I wouldn’t consider them as exact dupes. Heroine has blue undertones, while Flormar leans slightly on the pink side. I’ve tried using Flormar as a standalone color, but the color is way too dry so it doesn’t look flattering at all. However, when paired with a lipstick, it does an excellent job and it stays on for hours. Both pencils come with a plastic cap and need to be sharpened. 


In terms of pricing, MAC Heroine lip liner retails 14.50, while Flormar retails 1.50. The difference is huge, but you do get what you pay for, although in general Flormar pencils do a better job then some pricier ones. 



Finally, if you’re interested in trying out something similar to Heroine and you’re not exclusively MAC oriented, then Flormar lip pencil is a great alternative. Flormar can be found at Flormar counters and various stores that sell Flormar cosmetics.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment